Lumpkin's Jail was a slave-trading complex located on Wall Street, in
the Shockoe Bottom district of Richmond, which operated from the 1830s until the end of the American Civil War (1861–1865). The
slave-trader Bacon Tait owned the property first, followed by Lewis A. Collier, who
built the so-called jail, which confined enslaved African Americans prior to their sale. Robert Lumpkin purchased the property in 1844 and
used the facility to pursue his own slave-trading business, accommoda. . .
Find out more