The Richmond and Petersburg
Railroad extended for twenty-two miles and linked the two central Virginia cities.
The Virginia General Assembly chartered the company in 1836 and the line was
completed two years later. Despite its name, however, the southern terminus of the
railroad actually was in the suburb of Pocahontas, which lay on the north bank of the
Appomattox River across
from Petersburg. Goods and
passengers had to be off-loaded an. . .
Find out more