Media: Slideshow

Monuments Erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy

Monument to Confederate President Jefferson Davis

This monument to Jefferson Davis marks the spot in Irwin County, Georgia, where the Confederate president was captured by Union forces on May 10, 1865. The Ocilla, Georgia, chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy commissioned this monument and dedicated it on June 3, 1936. The statue is located in a state park known alternately as the Jefferson Davis Memorial Historic Site and the Jefferson Davis Capture Site.

Original Author: Carl Mydans

Created: June 3, 1936

Medium: Photographic print

Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division

Confederate Monument in Ocala, Florida

Girls wearing sashes bearing the names of the Confederate states pose in front of a Confederate monument erected in Ocala, Florida, in 1908 by the Dickison Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Initially located in front of the Marion County Courthouse, it was moved several times because of construction, and in 2010 was placed in a war memorial park in Ocala.

Original Author: Unknown

Medium: Photographic print

Courtesy of The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, VA

Confederate Memorial in Arlington Cemetery

The United Daughters of the Confederacy commissioned this bronze memorial to the Confederate soldiers and sailors buried at Arlington National Cemetery. The sculptor Moses Jacob Ezekiel, who fought alongside his fellow cadets from the Virginia Military Institute at the Battle of New Market in 1864, designed and executed the memorial. President Woodrow Wilson unveiled the statue on June 4, 1914, the anniversary of the birth of Jefferson Davis, who served as the president of the Confederate States of America.

Original Author: Harris & Ewing, photographer

Created: Between 1910 and 1920

Medium: Glass-plate negative

Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division

Confederate Monument at a High School

Students and children of all ages pose in front of a Confederate monument after it was unveiled on July 22, 1910, in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. The David O. Dowd Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected this monument on the grounds of the local high school. In February 1974 it was moved to the grounds of the Jefferson County Courthouse in Pine Bluff.

Original Author: Unknown

Created: July 22, 1910

Medium: Gelatin phtographic print

Courtesy of The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, VA

Zoom In
  • Monument to Confederate President Jefferson Davis

    This monument to Jefferson Davis marks the spot in Irwin County, Georgia, where the Confederate president was captured by Union forces on May 10, 1865. The Ocilla, Georgia, chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy commissioned this monument and dedicated it on June 3, 1936. The statue is located in a state park known alternately as the Jefferson Davis Memorial Historic Site and the Jefferson Davis Capture Site.

    Original Author: Carl Mydans

    Created: June 3, 1936

    Medium: Photographic print

    Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division

  • Confederate Monument in Ocala, Florida

    Girls wearing sashes bearing the names of the Confederate states pose in front of a Confederate monument erected in Ocala, Florida, in 1908 by the Dickison Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Initially located in front of the Marion County Courthouse, it was moved several times because of construction, and in 2010 was placed in a war memorial park in Ocala.

    Original Author: Unknown

    Medium: Photographic print

    Courtesy of The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, VA

  • Confederate Memorial in Arlington Cemetery

    The United Daughters of the Confederacy commissioned this bronze memorial to the Confederate soldiers and sailors buried at Arlington National Cemetery. The sculptor Moses Jacob Ezekiel, who fought alongside his fellow cadets from the Virginia Military Institute at the Battle of New Market in 1864, designed and executed the memorial. President Woodrow Wilson unveiled the statue on June 4, 1914, the anniversary of the birth of Jefferson Davis, who served as the president of the Confederate States of America.

    Original Author: Harris & Ewing, photographer

    Created: Between 1910 and 1920

    Medium: Glass-plate negative

    Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division

  • Confederate Monument at a High School

    Students and children of all ages pose in front of a Confederate monument after it was unveiled on July 22, 1910, in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. The David O. Dowd Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected this monument on the grounds of the local high school. In February 1974 it was moved to the grounds of the Jefferson County Courthouse in Pine Bluff.

    Original Author: Unknown

    Created: July 22, 1910

    Medium: Gelatin phtographic print

    Courtesy of The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, VA