Perspective Map of the City of Roanoke, VA.
This bird's-eye-view map created in 1891 depicts the relatively new city of Roanoke, a former farming town called Big Lick. The key at the bottom of the engraving pinpoints numerous manufacturing companies, including iron works, brick yards, flour mills, ice companies, and a tobacco factory; railroad depots and offices for the Norfolk and Western Railroad and other lines; and churches of various denominations including the African First Baptist. There are also listings for nearly twenty land companies developing the area, and a list of the four white newspapers in Roanoke. (The Roanoke Weekly Press, the city's first black newspaper founded in 1891, is not mentioned.)
There is an inset drawing depicting the Norfolk & Western railroad lines running into and out of the city, and separate engravings of the most prominent buildings in town: the Norwich Lock Manufacturing Company, the general offices of the Norfolk & Western Railroad, the City Court House, the 1st Ward Public School, the Commercial National Bank, the Hotel Roanoke, the Fidelity Building, the Academy of Music, the residence of E. H. Stewart, the Terry Building, the old home of George Tayloe, and the Hotel Ponce de Leon. The map was commissioned by the real estate firm of Simmons, Carpenter and Tinsley.