First African Baptist Church in Richmond
This modern photograph depicts the First African Baptist Church in Richmond. The original congregation, which included whites, enslaved people, and free blacks, dates to between 1799 and 1802. In 1841 the white members split off to form their own congregation and the African American members stayed at this location on the northeast corner of College and East Broad streets. The original church on the site was torn down and this structure, designed by Thomas U. Walker in Greek Doric temple style, was built in 1877. In 1955 the congregation moved to a new location and the building was sold to the Medical College of Virginia.