Bishop Payne Divinity School
Two photographs from 1925 depict a building at Bishop Payne Divinity School in Petersburg and the fifteen divinity students then enrolled. These images appear in a pamphlet titled Our Church Industrial High Schools for Negroes: The Bishop Payne Divinity School The Junior College (1925), which was produced under the supervision of the American Church Institute for Negroes. Bishop Payne was the oldest theological seminary for the education of African American Episcopal clergymen in the South. According to the pamphlet, more than 100 of their students had gone into active ministry, and graduates constituted nearly two-thirds of the African American ministers then working in the United States and abroad.