Young girls play badminton in front of the West Range, a row of buildings that runs parallel to the colonnades and pavilions at the heart of the University of Virginia. Thomas Jefferson, who designed the original university, included a Range on either side of the central Lawn. These Ranges feature open arcades and provide hotels, dining rooms, and additional housing for students.
This glass-plate photograph was made in 1912 by Charlottesville photographer Rufus W. Holsinger.
Citation: Holsinger Studio Collection MSS 9862, Special Collections, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.