Richmond Professional Institute
A photographic postcard from the mid-twentieth century shows Richmond Professional Institute on West Franklin Street. A caption on the back of the postcard reads: "RPI, founded in 1917, is a state-aided, co-educational institute of higher learning in Richmond, Virginia. Situated just west of the central business district in Richmond, the College offers graduate and under-graduate degrees in professional and liberal arts areas." In 1968 Richmond Professional Institiute merged with the Medical College of Virginia, another state insitution, to form Virginia Commonwealth University.