Fluvanna County Courthouse
This modern photograph shows the Fluvanna County Courthouse in Palmyra. Designed to resemble a Greek temple, with Doric columns, the building was completed in 1831. Inscribed in the lintel above the entrance are the words, "THE MAXIM HELD SACRED BY EVERY FREE PEOPLE / OBEY THE LAWS." This is one of the few antebellum courthouses in Virginia to remain in its original state, without additions. The courthouse is among a cluster of historic buildings that the architectural historian Talbot Hamlin referred to as "the Acropolis of Palmyra." No longer an active courthouse, the building is still used as a public meeting space.