This glass-plate photographic image shows the back of the Southall-Venable house located on a full city block in downtown Charlottesville. Rufus W. Holsinger took this photograph in 1918, not long before this house was demolished and the entire lot was turned into a whites-only park by the city. The land had been purchased and donated by Paul Goodloe McIntire, a commodities trader and philanthropist.
Citation: Holsinger Studio Collection (MSS 9862). Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, VA