Original Building at Hampden-Sydney College
Known as the Birthplace, this is the oldest building on the campus of Hampden-Sydney College. Built in 1756 (despite the sign that dates it to circa 1750), this was originally the office of Nathaniel Venable of Slate Hill plantation, which was located about three miles south of Hampden-Sydney. Venable helped found the college, and final plans for its creation were made in this office. In 1944 the building was moved from Slate Hill to the college campus.