Indian Town of Arrohateck
A detail from John Smith's early seventeenth-century map of Virginia shows the Indian town of Arrohateck (at lower left) on the banks of the curving James River about thirteen miles below "The Fales," or the falls, of the river. Arrohateck was home to about sixty warriors headed by the chief Ashuaquid. The town was within the territory that was part of the land inherited by the paramount Indian chief, Powhatan. The Arrohateck site was abandoned by 1611.