Map Showing Green Spring Plantation
The manor house and outbuildings of Green Spring plantation are visible in the upper left of this map drawn in 1781 by Colonel Jean-Nicolas Desandrouins, a French engineering officer who participated on the American side during the Revolution. Green Spring played an important role during both the colonial and revolutionary eras.
Located some five miles from the early Virginia capital at Jamestown, Green Spring was acquired by then-governor Sir William Berkeley in 1643. It was looted and heavily damaged during Bacon's Rebellion (1676–1677), and during the Revolutionary War, a battle was fought nearby, on July 6, 1781.