This map of Virginia, commissioned in 1750 by acting governor Lewis Burwell, includes a detailed rendering of the waterways, mountains, counties, settlements, and prominent plantations in the colony. Known as the Fry-Jefferson map, it was prepared by surveyors and cartographers Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson (father of Thomas Jefferson). The map was dedicated to George Montague-Dunk, second earl of Halifax, president of the Board of Trade, and the other commissioners who served with him. Halifax had sought information on the status of the English colony and, in response, Burwell selected Fry and Jefferson to draw a map of the region. Engraved and printed by Thomas Jefferys, geographer to the Prince of Wales, the map was first published late in the summer of 1753. (The edition shown here was published in 1755.) The elaborate cartouche, which depicts a tobacco planter conducting business on a wharf, was designed by artist Francis Hayman.