Map of Virginia, between Staunton and Clarksburg (West Virginia)
This 1861 pen-and-ink map by the Confederate cartographer Jedediah Hotchkiss shows the landscape between Staunton and Clarksburg (now West Virginia). Hotchkiss showed topographical points such as rivers, creeks, and mountains, but he also presented the man-made elements of the rural area, including the few extant railroad lines, scattered towns, and local landmarks, among them, Gibson's Store, Slavin's Cabin, Travellers Repose, and Clover Lick. In the chart at bottom right Hotchkiss indicated the precise distances from town to town, as well as to various geographic points. (For instance, he noted that it was fifteen miles from the town of Monterey to the top of the Alleghany Mountains and another ten miles to the Greenbrier River.) The map imparted other information crucial for troop movements: a line made of single dots indicated a "turnpike partly made," while a double dotted line showed "a road good in some parts in others only a path," though it could, in Hotchkiss's estimation, "be made passable."