Confederate States Navy Buttons
Though few official items of clothing from the Confederate States Navy survive, this set of twenty-four unused uniform buttons remains in its original packing at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond. The regulation gilded brass buttons feature an anchor atop crossed cannons with the acronym "CSN" below.
These buttons were made for the Confederate Navy in England by Firmin & Sons, military ornament manufacturers, and were part of a large consignment of goods diverted to Bermuda after the Civil War ended. W. H. Griset, a merchant of Hamilton, secured all the buttons, and during a period of some twenty years sold them as Civil War souvenirs to the many Bermudians who remained sympathetic to the Confederate cause.
The Confederate States Navy, established by law in 1861, was intended to be limited to 3,000 men, but at its peak in 1863 it included 753 officers and 4,460 sailors and support staff.