The Greek Revival building at the end of this cobblestone street in Petersburg is called Hustings Courthouse. (The term hustings means a public place where political speeches are made.) Designed by Calvin Pollard and constructed between 1838 and 1840, the courthouse features a steeple with the statue of Justice on top. During the siege of Petersburg, which took place over nearly ten months during 1864–1865, the statue atop the tower was struck repeatedly by Union shells. Around 4 a.m. on April 3, 1865, a Michigan regiment entered the city and lowered the Confederate flag from the tower, marking the end of the siege. This photograph was taken not long after Union forces captured the city.
The courthouse is still in use as Petersburg's circuit court.