South Side Railroad in Farmville
The South Side Railroad, completed in 1854, was one of the most important supply routes in southern Virginia during the American Civil War (1861–1865). With tracks laid east to west across the state, the railroad began at City Point in Hopewell on the James River and extended westward through Petersburg, Burkeville, Farmville, Appomattox Station, and finally Lynchburg, in western Virginia, for a total of about 132 miles. This photograph shows the South Side Railroad's High Bridge near Farmville, Virginia. An impressive 2,400-foot-long structure, the bridge played an integral part in the final Confederate retreat toward Appomattox in April 1865. The photograph itself is from the right half of a stereographic pair.