Dedication of Shenandoah National Park
U.S. president Franklin Roosevelt and Virginia governor George Peery arrive for the dedication of Shenandoah National Park on July 3, 1936. Roosevelt was an enthusiastic supporter of the park and Skyline Drive. Civilian Conservation Corps workers established six camps in the park area and constructed roads, improved forest landscaping and wildlife conditions, and fought fires. Roosevelt also agreed to extend the drive southward, linking up the Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains national parks with a road that eventually became the Blue Ridge Parkway.