On July 21, 1881, Brown married Bettie G. Mason, a teacher at Navy Hill School in Richmond. They had two sons and two daughters, but two children did not survive infancy. About 1888 they moved into a house near Ebenezer Baptist Church in Jackson Ward, the center of black residential, commercial, and cultural life in Richmond. In 1895 Brown signed a three-year partnership agreement with Rebecca P. Farley to operate the Jefferson Fine Art Gallery. Farley's husband James Conway Farley had also worked as a photographer for G. W. Davis, and he joined forces with Brown in operating the new studio. Brown had been the head photographic printer at Davis's gallery and continued that specialty with his new partner. By 1899 Brown had opened his own studio, the Old Dominion Gallery, on East Broad Street, and in 1905 he moved his enterprise to 603 North Second Street in the heart of Jackson Ward.
George O. Brown died in Richmond on May 17, 1910. He owned a plot in Union Sycamore Cemetery, one of the Barton Heights cemeteries, and was most likely buried there. The family business that Brown founded continued to thrive for almost sixty years after his death. George Willis Brown died on May 10, 1946, but Bessie Gwendola Brown, who lived with her brother's widow, operated the studio until 1969. Bessie Gwendola Brown died on December 28, 1977. George Willis Brown Jr. worked for a short time with his father and aunt but left after disagreements about the operation of the firm. One of his two sons, Albert Wilder Brown, worked as a photographer from 1982 until his death in 2009.
George O. Brown's legacy and his pioneering role as a photographer are reflected in recent interest in his work. Exhibitions on African American photographers at the Smithsonian Institution and at Chicago's DuSable Museum of African-American History have featured his photographs. Richmond's Valentine Museum (later Valentine Richmond History Center) has also exhibited photographs and equipment from the Brown studio and owns several collections of photographs that include numerous examples of the studio's work both before and after his death.
August 1852 - George O. Brown is born in Orange County, the son of Willis Brown and Winnie Brown.
May 7, 1871 - George O. Brown is probably baptized at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Richmond.
1879 - By this year, George O. Brown is working at the photographic gallery of George W. Davis.
July 21, 1881 - George O. Brown marries Bettie G. Mason. They will have two sons and two daughters.
1895 - In this year, George O. Brown signs a three-year partnership agreement with Rebecca P. Farley to operate the Jefferson Fine Art Gallery.
1899 - By this year, George O. Brown has opened his own studio, the Old Dominion Gallery, on East Broad Street in Richmond.
1907 - In this year, George O. Brown wins a silver medal for his photographs at the Jamestown Ter-Centennial Exposition.
May 17, 1910 - George O. Brown dies in Richmond.
Cite This Entry
- APA Citation:
Kimball, G. D., & the Dictionary of Virginia Biography. George O. Brown (1852–1910). (2013, October 30). In Encyclopedia Virginia. Retrieved from http://www.EncyclopediaVirginia.org/Brown_George_O_1852-1910.
- MLA Citation:
Kimball, Gregg D. and the Dictionary of Virginia Biography. "George O. Brown (1852–1910)." Encyclopedia Virginia. Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, 30 Oct. 2013. Web. READ_DATE.
First published: April 15, 2013 | Last modified: October 30, 2013